An hour.. that’s all you need for this light and soft sponge cake! This is my go to recipe when I’ve run short of resources and if I have completely exhausted myself. But please don’t get mislead by its simplicity, it’s definitely a keeper!
I have never interacted with “Raji chechi” but have heard plenty about her. She is the lady with the magic fingers and a heart of gold! Just like her recipe, she has a talent to weave amazing sustainable decor ideas with the available resources!
Note: This recipe can be used to make 12 cupcakes (approx.2.5 tbsp in a liner). Bake it at 180 degrees for 25 minutes. Turn it around midway during the baking, if you have a temperamental oven like mine!
Caster Sugar -1 cup
Plain Flour -1 Cup
Baking Powder – 2 tsp
Lime -1 (medium sized )
Milk -1/2 cup
Unsalted Butter – 50 gms
Granulated Sugar -8 tbsp
Unsalted Butter -2tbsp
Hot milk – 4 to 6 tbsp
Chopped and Roasted nuts
• Line and grease a 6 inch baking dish. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
• Beat the eggs till frothy and creamy ( almost like beating till it’s stiff).Add the sugar and beat again.
• Keep the milk for boiling in a saucepan and once it boils. Switch off the flame and add the butter. Let it melt in the saucepan.
• Sift the baking powder with flour. You could replace this with 1 cup* self raising flour .
• Alternately, fold the flour and lime juice to the egg-sugar mix. If you want to make the cake to taste more “citrusy”, you could add a little zest of lime.
• Now add the hot milk-melted butter mix to the batter. Fold in and pour it into the prepared baking dish .
• Bake in the oven at 180 degrees for 40 minutes. Once done, check with a skewer to see if it comes out clean. Take it out of the oven and let it cool.
• Heat the sugar on a low-medium flame . Let it reach a very light brown colour.
• Now add the butter and blend it well.
• Add the hot milk to this mix and keep stirring till it reaches a pouring consistency. Now remove from flame.
• Pour over the cooled cake and decorate with nuts
- I have used this caramel sauce to cover the whole cake , you could reduce it by half, if you want it to cover only the top.
To download the recipe, please click the link below.
How do I like my eggs??
Umm… in a cake !!