I’ve always heard about the “wonderful pudding” that was served at my cousin , Preethi Chechi’s, engagement party. My mother says that the exquisite taste of the peach in the light creamy cloud, a sweet memory, that has yet to be taken over by any other desserts that she has tasted till date. That’s a mighty good recommendation as Amma has an extreme case of “sweet-tooth -itis” and she’s definitely the better judge of desserts than me!
Mercy Antony Thoppil alias “Mercy Ellemma” , to my knowledge, could be on par with Julia Child. Her recipes were always ahead of her times and she managed most with the limited resources available at Karanzira! Inspite of modern times, I am scared to make an extra dish of pudding while this was served nearly 25 years back in Alleppy to a whole engagement party.Hopefully, I can get hold of more of her recipes to post here!
Digestive Biscuits ———-120 gms
Sugar——————————90-150gms (Granulated or Caster)
Gelatin—————————-1 Tbsp (Dissolve in 1/2 cup water)
Canned Peaches—————1 can (250gms drained weight)
Peach Syrup———————1/2 cup
Egg Whites———————–2 nos
Vanilla Essence—————-1 tsp
Cream for whipping ——–1/4 cup
Fruits As required
• Prepare the base with crumbled biscuits and melted butter. Use the back of glass or a steel katori to spread it evenly on the dish.Refrigerate.
• Dissolve the gelatin in cold water and melt it over a hot water bowl. You could follow the instructions provided on the pack but restrict the water used to 1/2 cup. Do make sure it has no lumps and let it cool.
• Drain the peaches and chop it. Preserve the syrup.
• Blend cream cheese, sugar(100gms), cooled gelatine, vanilla essence and peach syrup in a blender/mixer till smooth. Add more sugar to your taste,if required.
• Whisk egg whites to soft peaks( you could turn the bowl upside to check ) and fold into the cream cheese mix.
• Pour on to the crust. Sprinkle the chopped fruits. Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate till it sets.
• Decorate with whipped cream (whisk the cream & sugar) & fruits of your choice . I have been a little lazy this time and used the whipped cream out of a can that’s why it’s not looking so aesthetically appealing !
Please click on the link below to download the recipe.