Recipe Courtesy: Mrs Mercy Antony Thoppil
This is yet another masterpiece from Mrs Mercy Antony Thoppil. The simplicity of the ingredients shows you how talented she is to whip up such delicacies .
The subtle tanginess of the orange layer is balanced with the sweet creamy custard layer and the biscuit layer that adds character to this beautifully presented recipe.
Digestive Biscuits 200 gms
Butter 100 gms
Shortcrust Pastry Layer ( instead of Biscuit Layer)
Flour –1/2 lbs
Salt – a pinch
Water for binding
Custard Cream Layer
Milk – 1.5 cup* or 300 ml
Custard Powder-1 tbsp (heaped)
Cornflour – 1 tbsp (heaped)
Water- 1/4cup*+1/8cup* Or 75ml
Butter -3 oz or 84g
Castor Sugar -4.5 oz or 127g
Orange Jelly layer
Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice – 1 and 1/4 cup* or 250ml
lime juice – 1 tsp ( optional)
Cold Water-3/4 cup*or 150ml
Water-1/4 cup* or 50ml
Butter-1oz or 27g
* 1 cup =200ml
• Prepare a 9 inch pie dish with crumbled biscuits and melted butter.
- Make it like a case.Refrigerate.
This layer can be replaced with a shortcrust pastry case if you prefer that.
- Mix flour, salt and butter like bread crumbs.
- Add required amount of water to knead into a soft dough
- This has to be done fast.
- Roll it out on a board to fit the tin.
- Line it on the pastry tin and prick it all over with a fork so that it doesn’t rise.
- Line it with a baking parchment or greaseproof sheet. Place some baking beans on it.
- Bake till cooked at 180 degrees.
- Remove the baking beans and parchment paper.
Custard Cream Layer
• Heat milk in a sauce pan.
• Blend custard powder and cornflour smoothly in water in a bowl.
• Add this mix to hot milk slowly.
• Stir over heat until mixture boils and thickens. It will get very thick. Allow it to cool
• Cream the butter with sugar until smooth using a hand mixer.
• In a deep bowl, beat the cooled custard using a hand mixer . Make it creamy.
• Then add it to the butter-sugar mix and blend well.
• Spread over the biscuit layer. Refrigerate.
Orange Jelly Layer
- Combine cold water, orange juice and sugar
• Stir over heat until sugar dissolves and let it boil for a while ( approximately 10minutes in total)
- Add a tsp of lemon juice if you find the mixture too sweet. It helps to enhance the Orange flavour.
• Blend cornflour,custard powder and water in a bowl.
• Add this blended mixture slowly to the orange juice mixture. It will start to thicken immediately.
• Remove from heat.
• Add the butter and allow it to melt.
- You could keep a spoon or two of this orange mixture for garnishing purposes.
• Dissolve the gelatin in cold water and melt it over a hot water bowl or follow the instructions provided in the package
• Add the dissolved gelatin to the orange jelly mix.
• Let it cool. When cool, pour it over the cream mixture and let it set.
One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating. ~Luciano Pavarotti.