Recipe Courtesy: Preethi Varkey Karimbanal
When Preethi chechi asked me whether I have had Malva pudding, I presumed that it was a North Indian dessert with pistachios & cardamom! Honestly, that’s how clueless I am about desserts. However ,I did do some serious research ( read as Googling) and then I realised that it’s actually a South African dessert and is not even remotely related to India.
As I read the recipe, I thought to myself that this sounds like a sponge cake with an apricot twist. My ignorance further highlighted!! The Apricot jam gives a caramel flavour to the sponge and the hot creamy sauce soaks into it a level of dreamy goodness.
Just like the other recipes shared by Preethi chechi, this ones definitely a keeper and one that you can whip up without much effort. Simple and minimal but no compromise on the flavour!
Unsalted Butter -1tbsp
Granulated Sugar-1cup (powdered)
Apricot Jam -1 tbsp (heaped)
Plain flour -1cup
Cream -1/2 cup
For Sauce topping
Unsalted Butter -1/3 cup or 75 gms
Sugar -1/2 cup
Hot Water -1/4cup
1. Preheat the oven at 180 degrees .
2. Prepare a greased baking dish.
3. Sift the plain flour with baking soda and salt and set it aside.
4. Melt the butter and add vinegar to it. Keep it aside. ( If you live in a cold region, do this step just before adding to the batter as there is a chance of the mixture getting solidified)
5. Beat Egg. Add Sugar and continue to beat. Lastly, add apricot jam and beat it till it’s blended well to make a smooth batter.
6. Fold in milk , cream and flour alternately till there are no lumps.
7. Add the butter-vinegar mix and combine it with the rest of the batter.
8. Pour it into the prepared baking dish and cover it with aluminium foil and bake for 45 minutes at 180 degrees .
9. Now remove the aluminium foil and bake for another 15 mts or till it’s brown on the top.
10. Meanwhile, place all the ingredients for the topping in a saucepan and blend it well on medium heat.
11. Once the cake base is baked, take it out of the oven and pour the hot topping over it immediately while the base is hot.
12. The sauce will be soaked in within seconds.
13. This baked dessert could be served with custard, clotted cream or vanilla ice cream. It is best served warm .
For printouts, please click on the following link Malva Pudding
For any queries mayasLABrecipes@gmail.com
It’s not me, it’s you. I just don’t think it’s going to work between us. You’re boring, tasteless and I can’t stop cheating on you.